Can I Leave Vinegar on Mold Overnight? It’s Powerful!

Mold is a type of fungi that can grow both indoors and outdoors. It’s commonly found in damp, humid areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, basements, and laundry rooms.

While not all types of mold are harmful to humans, exposure to many species can cause allergic reactions, such as sneezing, coughing, and watery eyes.

The black species also causes mold toxicity signs, sometimes leading to dire consequences.

If you’ve noticed mold in your home, you might be wondering if you can get rid of it using vinegar. Like baking soda, vinegar is a superb cleaning product that is mostly readily available at home.

And yes, in the same way that you can use vinegar to kill mold in dehumidifiers and humidifiers, you can also leave it on mold overnight.

So, can you leave the vinegar on the mold overnight? Yes, you can. Vinegar is an effective way to kill mold, and leaving it on overnight will give it time to work its magic. Spray the vinegar and water solution on the mold and leave it overnight, or for several hours to kill the mold. 

How to use vinegar to remove mold

does vinegar kill mold

​When you find signs of mold in your house, you must remove it as soon as possible. Inhaling mold spores causes serious symptoms, such as respiratory problems.

Also, coming into contact with mold causes skin irritation.

To avoid all of these illness symptoms caused by toxic black mold, make haste to remove it.

One popular method for removing mold is using vinegar. This is a natural disinfectant that can kill mold spores and other illness-causing microbes that you don’t want at home. It’s also inexpensive and easy to find.

Here is a simple process for how to use mold to remove vinegar:

Mix water and vinegar – equal parts

To remove mold with vinegar, start by mixing equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle.

There is no need to shake. They will mix just fine.

Spray in the affected area

Then, apply the mixture to the affected areas and let it sit for about an hour.

After an hour, wipe the area with a clean rag or sponge. You may need to apply the vinegar mixture several times to completely remove the mold.

If you’re concerned about the smell of the solution, don’t worry. It will dissipate quickly once the area is dry.

Scrap the mold out

As a fungus, mold is alive. If it has grown in thick layers, you can scrap it away with a scraper or wipe it out with a piece of clothing.

If the mold was left to grow too long, it would have altered the paint, so you might have to repaint the patch.

Once the mold is gone, you won’t have to worry about it coming back. Vinegar is a natural fungicide, so it will prevent mold from growing in the future.

So, if you’re dealing with mold, give vinegar a try. It’s a natural, effective, and inexpensive way to remove mold from your home.

Benefits of using vinegar to clean

​Vinegar is a natural disinfectant, and it can kill many types of bacteria, including mold. You can use vinegar to clean a humidifier with mold.

You can spray it on the areas that have mold in the basement, and elsewhere in your house.

Here are more uses of this awesome cleaning product:

Cleaning your windows

One of the most popular uses for vinegar is cleaning windows. Mixing it with water in a spray bottle is a great way to clean windows without using any harsh chemicals.

The vinegar will cut through the dirt and grime, breaking the molecules, and leaving your windows sparkling clean.

Good stain remover

Vinegar is a superb stain remover. It penetrates and breaks the stain molecules apart. Thus, you can use it to clean clothing, carpets, and upholstery.

In the case of stains, do not mix the vinegar with water. Simply apply the vinegar to the stain and blot it with a clean cloth. It will help to break down the stain and make it easier to remove.

It clears clogged drains

Vinegar is good for clearing drains. If you have a clogged drain, simply pour some vinegar down the drain and let it sit for a few minutes. It will help to break down the clog and make it easier to flush away.

If you are looking for a natural way to clean your home, vinegar is a great option. It is safe to use, effective, and very affordable.

Benefits of leaving vinegar on mold overnight

​This natural disinfectant can kill 82% of mold species. It’s also effective at removing mold stains.

Here are some benefits of leaving it on mold through the night:

  1. Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and can kill 82% of mold species.
  2. It is also effective at removing mold stains
  3. Vinegar is inexpensive and easy to find
  4. You can use vinegar to clean many surfaces in your home, including countertops, floors, and walls.
  5. Vinegar is safe to use around children and pets.
  6. It does not harm furniture, kitchen, or bathroom appliances, so you can use it all over.

Risks of leaving vinegar on mold overnight

Despite being so good for killing some microbes, vinegar can still pose some risks.

It might not kill all the mold

One of the risks of leaving vinegar on mold overnight is that the vinegar may not completely kill the mold.

Some mold spores can survive in vinegar, and if not completely killed, it can continue to grow and cause health problems.

Vinegar can damage surfaces

Another risk of leaving vinegar too long on a surface is that the vinegar can damage surfaces.

It is an acidic substance, and it can damage some surfaces, including countertops and flooring.

If it is left on these surfaces for too long, it can cause permanent damage.

It might cause harmful fumes

Leaving vinegar on a surface overnight can also release harmful fumes.

It is a volatile substance, and when it is mixed with mold, it can release harmful fumes into the air. These fumes can be harmful to your health if you breathe them in.

Vinegar can be harmful if mixed with some substances

While it is a good cleaning product to have at home, you should use it with care, especially when mixing it with other things apart from water.

For instance, if you mix vinegar with bleach, it can form a toxic gas that can send you to hospital fast. It can even kill.

So, just don’t mix two cleaning products. Use each separately, and then later, try a different one.

Vinegar vs. other mold cleaners

If you do not have vinegar, you can still use other products to remove mold. Here are a few alternatives that you can try:


can you use bleach to kill mold

Bleach might actually be better at killing the mold at the roots, and ensuring it does not come back again.

But there is a catch … bleach only seems to work very well when you use it on a hard surface such as concrete, tiles, and so on. If you apply it on wood, it might not work as well.

Also, bleach might remove the color of clothing, leather, and other items. So, apply it on the mold growing on white surfaces.

Baking soda

This is a superb cleaning product that is readily available in all homes. It will not kill mold as effectively as bleach or vinegar, but it will remove the musty smell. Thus, if you don’t have an air purifier to remove the musty smell, use baking soda.

If you only have a mild mold attack at home, you can apply baking soda paste to it.

After some time, wipe it away. It will have broken the mold. You can apply another layer of baking soda paste to ensure you kill all the mold.

You can also mix the baking soda and bleach, since the two are safe, and their potency to kill mold would go up.

Hydrogen peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide is easy to buy, online or locally. It is also a superb cleaning product that you should have at home all the time.

To use hydrogen peroxide on mold, just add it into a spray bottle, and then spray it directly on the area that has mold.

Give it some time to soak in, about 10 to 15 minutes, and then wipe it away with a clean piece of cloth. You can repeat the process, especially if the mold is in high quantity.

Wrapping it up

If you’re dealing with a small mold problem, you can try cleaning it with vinegar yourself. Simply apply the vinegar to the affected area and let it sit for several hours or overnight. Then, scrub the area with a brush or sponge and rinse it with water.

For larger mold problems, it’s best to call in a professional. A fumigation company will be able to identify the source of the mold and take steps to remove it and prevent it from coming back.

Also, remember to control the humidity in your indoor spaces. Mold grows at 60 percent humidity level, and higher.

Always keep the indoor humidity level at 30 to 50% throughout the year.